Saturday 3 December 2016

the pickups

We only had one day to shoo the whole music video and I felt one of the most important aspects had been left out. The finally shot. The final shot in my vision was to have the girl who was dancing through out be shown in her real environment,  which would be a container. This is because the only relevance of the dancer was to indicate the next girl in line for these mens sick games.


So I got Cara back in to do the final shot of her in the container. I wanted to have a match cut from the dancing to cut to her in the container, so I directed her to do a spin and stare at the camera because in reality the person watching the music video is the real voyuer.


I used to red heads to light her. And used the blackmagics to film, with multiple prime lenses, 28mm 35mm and 50mm. I shot it in 4K and 50fps so I could slow down the footage but also scale out to fake a dolly move giving it a more surreal effect.


Cara is always great to work with and always gives great energy while taking it very serious. On the pickup shoot as I had the camera already set up. I decided to get some extra pickup shots of Jason (one of the old men) because I wanted to push my VFX shot of the camera going into the tv, into Jason's eye and then into the tv.

However, while filming Jason he was very difficult to work with mucking about and not taking it serious, and over all the shot just looked cheap when it came to the VFX editing stage.