Sunday 4 December 2016

the editing process

So for less then a month now I have been working hard on the editing for the music video. So here is a short film I made on the editing process.



While editing a music video there is a specific workflow to go by just in case everything falls through. Like in the production side start with a wide, then medium, then close up, in the editing stage we must start with the piece that is most necessary.

Therefore I started with the performance cut, because thats what the artists would want the most out over everything. I began by timing everything up with the clapperboard we recorded on the day and the timings in the timeline, making sure everything was in sync, I went on to cut the performance up so it flowed with the overall energy of the music.

Once I had done this I moved onto the narrative, which I mostly rushed due to the rough cut deadline, but it gave me a good structure to work from when I came back to it.

I did a lot of visual effects experiments to get the right look, some I had to let go do to it either not fitting the music video or looking awful.

Anyways hope you enjoy the video above which goes into this process in a bit more depth with sped up screen recordings of me editing.