Friday 18 September 2015

a bit about me

Media. Yep I chose media. Why media? That’s a good question. So here is a brief explanation why. First of all here is a brief catchup to what type of person would choose media studies. While ever since a young age of was fascinated in story telling. Yes I was a big fat lier… to be fair not a very good one. And filmmaking was the artistic tool that I could create these stories, while not very good ones, it became my passion very quickly. At the age of around seven it was the first time I had properly picked up a camera, directed and constructed a story, however at this point I didn’t realise this was going to be my passion. Throughout the years I made a few travel films and little sketches, and it wasn’t more the process that I enjoyed but the reaction’s I would get from something I made. 

It wasn’t till I was thirteen where it quickly became serious. When in  Arizona, somewhere in the united states, I had a moment of awakening. I had been brought over to do some filming and assist another cinematographer, on a horse racing project… I am not that type of person… I don’t play polo and I don’t like horse riding. Anyways this is when I realised I loved capturing beautiful moving images. I was ready. That whole summer of 2012 I immersed my self in film. Especially visual effects, because to me it was like magic, and magic impressed people. It was a day before I started my secondary school and I quickly made my first visual effects test, check it out.

Now I was at this secondary school I received more work, and my time for film slowly disappeared… Until near the start of the summer of 2013 my mental english teacher who was actually a media studies teacher had enough of the GCSE curriculum and started teaching us film language. He set us on the task to make a film with a noir theme so I made this. He wanted us to make more. So with two other students who wrote and acted in the seven minute short, which I can’t show you for copy right reasons… God damn you Hans Zimmer!

It was the summer holidays and with the kickstart motivation from my media studies it wasn't difficult to shoot out the short fun skit here. But then GCSE’s got real and well… my creativity was shut away. Until I some how persuaded my teacher to allow me to slip in a short video for my Graphic Design check it out here, as well you can check out the creation process here.

And I am working on a few films now.