Monday 24 October 2016

set design. [development]

Our set design meeting has been delayed by a week. After reviewing Claudia's designs, I knew I wouldn't be happy with what we had for the final result.


It didn't work. It doesn't make sense that TV's would be stacked up in an empty old gentlemen's club bar and they just have weird shipping container/prison in the back. As I mentioned in the -initial set design- post I liked the idea of the set design for the narrative piece being in a foreign setting maybe like Bangkok. 


Why Bangkok?
Thailand is very beautiful and obscure country to me. It's a country that I feel has been very negatively impacted by western society. The country is filled with beautiful rich history/art for example the temples. However with the adaption of western culture it has lead the country in a state of confusion like Japan, evolving in a unhealthy way that disconnects oneself from its strong routes into a confused culture. For example Bangkok is notorious for it's ladies boys and they are somewhat seen as gods, and people from western culture fly over to experience these lady boys. This in essence is what I want to capture from our piece. That a More Economic Country Developed (MEDC) country's people e.g. Britain are flying over to a country that is a Less Economically Developed Country (LEDC) e.g. Thailand to exploit it. The main assumption with LEDC's is that there is a lot of corruption and therefore black markets. And this is what are set would be set around.

the set design
After looking for inspiration I came across a scene from inception.


for me this would be my main source of inspiration for the narrative scene.

Here is a birds eye view of the final set design -

Now I believe that the dance and performance element set design could fit together.

I made a powerpoint for our set designer Laura.
Which you can check out clicking here or you can view the GIF below.


for inspiration I have used images from our treatment,  inception and the matrix.

Overall I like the final set design, I feel know this piece has been taken to the next level and can actually look like a believable piece.