Saturday 15 October 2016

Lighting meeting.

After our the lighting talk that George gave the whole class had individual meetings with George about the lighting for their ideas and how he could accomplish this.

Before hand I had created a small presentation in which I had accumulated inspiration of lighting that I would like for our piece. A lot of the images were carried across from the treatment I created.


In the meeting we discussed how we would like the lighting appear and react with the environment. One issue that arose was the lighting of the cell room for the dancer. I wanted this to be shot in a container, however due to the confined space George was trying to tell me it wouldn’t be possible and they would have to set it up in the studio. I didn’t like this idea because the example of similar setups looked unrealistic and appeared to be setup. For the music video I want to appear very organic and natural, to me this isn’t just a music video, we aren’t just chucking in imagery to the beat of the drum while some soulless vocals sing on top, I need to give this piece justice for what it is.

George said it would be impossible to light it the way I wanted. So I explained what I wanted again to him and as backup we could shoot in the studios at school. The number one reason for this as we would have to wait till the day to see if the lighting will work as we wont have the lights before hand.

The other lighting for the piece was describes as being easy to do. For the performance element of the band he suggested we use the pixel lights. For the narrative element we would like light shadows but a dark moody feel as if in a grungy room, with haze light streaks. The lighting for the dance element, this is the element George didn’t think he could light, for this I want to have light streaks that project bars on to the floor, which could appear like piano keys but also emphasise her entrapment. This would be accomplished by using a Gobo.

After the meeting the department sent me over some Gobos to choose from.


As a group we chose the Jail Bars Vertical Gobo, the only thing we are worried about is whether there will be light spill and therefore the lighting effect may not work, however will will have to wait till the day to see whether this is an issue or not. We have to wait till the day due to the lights being ordered in for our shoot and aren’t readily available.