Thursday 17 December 2015

What now?


So what has been happening you may be wondering.
While the dilemma of breaking the mirror became more and more of a block for the group, as more issues to do with breaking it arose. For example, health and safety or weather it would even break.

The group began doubting there master, they were losing there way with the lord. Even with my mastery in deception and seduction I couldn’t maintain there motivation and passion for the idea. It was slowly becoming a dead and demotivated atmosphere. So Dasha rightly suggested that we go speak to Matt.

We walked in to Matt’s office, I am already feeling melancholic at the idea of loosing my amazing inspiring nothing like an opening sequence idea. I grabbed a chair. Matt stared scrutinisingly into my soul. Then he began bringing up all the points why my sick idea was pretty much just a cancer. And he had a point, instead of developing the idea we were just adding to it, making it more and more complicated, as the tumor grew. We needed to cut it off. It told us that most people get it wrong with the development process, and that most people just add to there crappy ideas, but the most effective form of development is to take away, get rid of all the crap in till you find the golden egg.

Ok cools, so what did he suggest. He hated the gimmick of it being backwards, which I had continually argued it is the perfect piece for a thriller, due to things being backwards anything could have due to it not be linear, creating intrigue and suspense, two the biggest factors in the thriller genre. But he shut me down and said no…. it’s just a gimmick. So I argued that the overlord Christopher Nolan had used it in Memento, however he shut me down again, explain that the whole film is backwards so it fits the film, but as well that no other opening sequence is any similar and yeah he has a point.

If we look at example of opening title sequence, they are so lame, and obviously people like me entering the course want to show all the best features and skills at once making an orgy of visual delights. However this doesn’t make it an opening sequence. As Adam our teacher has repeatedly said “An opening sequence establishes either the scene, character or context”. And that’s what I have been getting wrong. I have just been wanting to tell a story. A pretty sick story if I do say so myself.

Ok so where does that put me now. While Matt suggested this really terrible idea, that this dude walks into the scene says some stuffs, then the scene happens again but different till the characters catch on to what is happening. However that is the lamest thing I have ever heard and would hate doing that.

So I guess that was it. The group came to an agreement and the idea had to be cut out. It was draining to much of our time, and we needed to decide on something soon. As we will be filming in January.

At the moment I am super demotivated and ready to give up, my ideas have rejected too many times now, I am going to leave it to the group to come up with something and I will execute it as bad ass
as possible.