Monday 12 October 2015

Preliminary Task

First we were briefed about our task. My group was given a few story boards to follow by, we had to re-create these scenes, this limited our creativity input, however this task was more focused on learning the process rather than creative flare.

We were sent to the studio, there was a set already setup, all we had to do is abide by the story board, shoot the scenes and act them out. We were using my trusty friend the Canon 5D mark III, we started off with a 70-200mm lens, this made it very difficult to get the establishing shot in such a  small space. However we slipped  the camera onto the tripod, bubbled it, got the required height and focused the lens. I was in charge of the camera work, however I hate using a tripod. Why you may ask, because it limits your creativity, because for me, personally, I ran around with the camera like a crazy person until I find an appealing composition, while with a tripod its slow, because you have to change, then re-adjust, then change and re-adjust, it gets really tedious really quick. Anyways, in this scene I found it difficult working with the director due to her desire to control but the lack of communication, so I abided by the boring shots of the story board.

Once the director and I walked through, with the actors, what we wanted to see. We began by establishing the shot, in film an establishing shot is used because it explains to the audience where the characters are, if an establishing shot is not used this can confuse the audience. However since I was using this 70-200mm lens I had no choice to back up around 10 meters away from the set to fit it in. Once I got that shot done all the other shots came quite easy, however it wouldn't of been possible if it wasnt for the experienced actors we had with us, their timing was precious so it worked to benefit the continuity of the scene. Every shot we did, we would run it from the top, this means we could use multiple shots throughout the edit. In this shoot we were constantly aware of the 180 degree rule and we made sure to not to break the rule, except for one shot which was suggested by one of the actors, however after discussions we doubt we are going to use it in the final edit.


The task however may of seemed mundane, but it was very important for the understanding of not just continuity but following a story board, and what personally stood out to me is that to be able to direct you must be clear with your vision and to be able to express it, because no matter how it is written it means nothing compared to how it is said. 


Once we got into the editing bay, it was my time to shine! I teamed up with Vogue to edit the clips, as I thought she would want to do the least work. Anyways first we began by organising the best clips and pulling them into the Premiere Pro's timeline. We began cutting away, closely following the story boards. Then I was pushed to the side and Vogue took control. I should of stood my ground and taken control, but I was out, quickly our cut turned to crap.

Here is the final cut our group created